Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Risky Business


Navy/white spotted dress - $20 Valleygirl (originally $39.95)
Natasha patent heart wedges - $2.50 op-shop

The humidity right now is about 90-95%, so the fact that I'm even blogging at all is something of a miracle, since my fingers are all sweaty and slippery and sliding around the keyboard. All week we've been lying around under the fans like slugs, watching the geckos skitter across the ceiling, and only occasionally rousing ourselves for a swim or a trip into the air-conditioned sanctuary of some shopping mall or other. Apart from bananas, ice-cream and sushi (all for the little dude) I rarely buy anything in my mall wanderings, it's more just aimless browsing in that delicious refrigerated air - but I did manage to break virtually all of my vague shopping rules and bought this frock from Valleygirl.


Those panels in the middle of the dress sort of remind me of the broken mirror effect

Valleygirl is one of those really noxious el cheapo chains, where everything costs ten bucks, is made out of petrochemical by-products, falls apart after a couple of wears and is almost certainly made by slave labour. I once bought a horrible stretchy ten dollar dress in there when I was pregnant and slightly desperate, but that's it in the history of forever. How I ended up with the spotty frock is something of a mystery to me (and I probably should have bought the next size down as it's a little too big), it was probably due to my Dawn of the Dead style zombified mall trawling but let's blame it on the heat!





It's definitely a Minnie Mouse sort of dress, this one, so I think these heart embellished shoesies are their perfect match. A little bit silly and girlish and entirely suitable to today's visit from the little dude's step-great-grandmother - a lady who appreciates a cup of tea, a slice of cake, and a nicely pulled together outfit!


Jane Lamerton navy/white silk wrap dress - $15 op-shop
Mimco opal crystal studs - $40 sale
Taupe leather eighties heels - $4 op-shop

My recent op-shopping efforts have been pretty half-arsed, and my general commitment to the cause decidedly lacking, but this week I felt the spirit moving inside me (despite the heat). I went out to scavenge with some measure of renewed vigour and my efforts were rewarded. 100% cashmere jumpers, tan eelskin eighties flats, the perfect high-waisted chambray eighties shorts, and all kinds of other stuff, all for those magical sub-five-dollar prices. It felt good! The heart shoes were also part of the haul, as was this silk wrap dress and those taupe pumps.



Where the Minnine Mouse dress is perfect for great-grandmotherly visitations, this wrap/shirt dress is made for serious grown-up occasions. You know the kind of thing - funerals, wreath laying ceremonies, openings of municipal buildings, meetings with bank managers - all those events where green leopard print skirts-as-dresses or purple silk jumpsuits are not going to send precisely the right message. It will be no surprise to you that I have nothing else in my wardrobe appropriate for hobnobbing with civic officials or trying to impress people with my respectable solid citizenhood, so this dress is therefore a very welcome addition.


There is about 20 metres of fabric in it too, which means that is very tempting to go the swirl.

I'm not usually a wrap dress advocate - they work against my naturally oblong shape and generally make me feel frumpy and unsexy as hell. This one actually makes me feel a wee bit devilish, which I'm fairly certain is a consequence of the gorgeous slithery silk fabric and the shirt dress styling. Nothing like a shirt dress to give an air of respectability and a frisson of vixenish wickedness all in one go!


Disclaimer: the colour is definitely more peach and less tangerine than these photos would indicate.

Yes, lest you think I have turned entirely into some kind of sweet little wifey poo in my navy and white frocks, I present you with my new favourite pet. The nicest, lightest oversized silk shirt ever, and all for $7. I'm going to put an extra button on the bottom (it's just pinned there at the moment) to prevent the world getting an eyeful of my special private lady places, but it really is long enough to wear as a dress. With flat sandals it looks a lot less risky business, but why spoil the fun? Besides, these taupe pumps and I are having a little romance as well and I am quite unwilling to take them off my feet once they get on there!



Do you have an outfit in your wardrobe which confers instant respectability - or maybe you're in the reverse situation with a cupboard full of conservative sophistication and one crazy outfit which you pull out once in a while? It does make me feel strangely secure to know that I now have a fall-back grownup outfit again (my old one was a black shirt dress which died just before the little dude was conceived), just like it's good to know I have a nice winter coat or a well fitting swimsuit - it's an essential.

xx
Skye
PS. Sorry for lack of blogging and patchy commenting - definitely one of those weeks round here.

40 comments:

Vintage Tea said...

love the big zip on the top dress
x

Kathryn said...

That Jane L dress is not you Skye. I think you should give it to me, it is far more my style ;)

Shannon (A beautiful Dream) said...

I love the wrap dress! So swirly :)

But I still think there is nothing wrong with going to funerals in the green leopard print. I love that skirt.

Anita said...

I love that wrap dress - I don't usually go for them either, they never seem to sit right and like you, I wouldn't have many places to wear something so respectable. It does have a hint of the Rizzo about it though, doesn't it...

Make Do Style said...

Now the wrap dress is a diamond - amazing and the shoes, wedges, peachy shirt number are fab too.

Not so sure about dotty number because maybe as you said it does look too big for your frame x

Sharon Rose said...

Hi there-yes, the 'official dress' gives off real authoratative vibes, Skye, a really good find my dear!! I do have 'smart' and casual in the wardrobe, but I don't really wear smart or official clothes hardly ever now.

Rachael said...

The heart shoes are adorable, great score.

Sal said...

SO glad you've landed a dress for all those openings of municipal buildings that you regularly attend.

The heart-embellished shoes rock my world. Melissa and Vivienne Westwood have a similar pair out now that I drool over regularly: http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-Womens-Footwear/Categories

Chantelle said...

Those Natasha shoes were a steal!

I love the shirt outfit best. You look beautiful in colour. x

mummabee said...

Oh that stripey silk wrap dress is just divine! I wish I could find something like that in my rummaging!!

Blogette said...

The Jane Lamerton silk dress is stunning on you! You look lovely!! I don't know how you manage to not look frizzy and frazzled considering the humidity!

enc said...

I haven't got much respectable stuff in my wardrobe. I have almost all jeans/t-shirts and gym clothes.

Skye, you make every dress look like it's lucky to be on you. That stripey wrap thingy really carves out your tiny waist!

StrikeMatch said...

It's amazing how different you look in the two different dresses. I definitely like the first look better (I mean, heart-y flats, how could you not love it).

However, I understand the need to grown up clothing (no matter how much I despise it).

flair to remember said...

Love the wrap dress on you, it really suits your figure!
Also, what a great find with the oversized peach button up! Great all rounder that one!
PS: the humidity is the worst right now! completely over it!

A dreamer said...

i think the minnie mouse dress and flats suit (you're missing a big red bow...) you much more than the businessy look.

ahhh sexy peach shirt dress!

Miss Lady Finger said...

I love love love the wrap stripe shirt dress and the tangerine/peach number. Both are divine! The best opshop haul I've seen in ages.
I'm the opposite, and prob. need a few outraegous things in my 'classic pieces only' wardrobe! PS Leopard print at a funeral is FINE! xxx

kirby- Skint But Stylish said...

Not much longer Skye and summer will be over, then its just a nice normal heat :D.... i miss geko's
although the little buggers used to hide in my shoes... and poo along the windowsils.... maybe i don't miss them

Tara said...

I love the peach shirt dress! It looks fantastic, you minx, you!

K.Line said...

Left a comment earlier but the blog ghost ate it. Gist of it was that you look awesome in the wrap dress and I can't believe you would say that the style doesn't flatter your figure. It is so long-and-slimming. Not that you aren't very slim already, but you know what I mean.

Home Girl said...

ohh am green with envy over your peachy silky shirt number - have had one of those on my oppy list for a while now - looks HOT. there is alway panic and stomping and wardrobe dumping round here in the event of respecible ocassions. have been thinking lately i need to invest in a few reliable well tailored 'designer'pieces to fall back on in need. can't help myself though - any spare time and i'm out on the thrift.

thevintageyear said...

Oh man, those heart shoes are just darling... you must have loads of people donating shoes in your area, you always find such amazing shoes/boots/wedges/heels!

UberOriginal said...

I am definitely trying to invest in more 'basics' as I have all these random pieces that I need some quality basics to make into a decent outfit. xx

Missa said...

You are seriously the siren of silk Skye (how's that for an alliterative turn of phrase;) I'm pretty sure the big peach silk shirt would look ridiculous on me, but on you... it just works!

I'm hearting your heart shoes too :)

Alicia - Sea Of Ghosts said...

Tres tres chic Ms.Skyelark!
Loving the shirtdress!!
x

lisadom said...

Love both those dresses. I do like a wrap dress as they are very emboobening usually and can be worn just as happily alone or with skivvy and tights in a transeasonal way.

I turn to my Armani Suit for respectibility when needed (and extra confidence) nothing beats it as it flatters and shapes me like it was made for me (and not for some mid nineties fool who donated it to UK Cancer Research shop on the Kings Road)

I too zombied around the malls in QLD but sadly stopped by the donuts in Safeway/Woolies a few too many times. I came to think of DJs as a kind of Tiffanys where nothing bad could happen in its richly carpeted airconditioned corridors while the apocolypse of heat waves raged outside.

till I got my store card bill.


xx

Lavender said...

You have so much luck with the silk op-shop finds. You must have the instinct for it.

Eli said...

Yeah Melissa x vivienne westwood have some very similar heart shoes, how awesome!

Rollergirl said...

The Minnie Mouse shoes are damn cute!

Lady Melbourne said...

Hello there darling!
I can't believe that Jane Lamberton dress, it is to die for. I don't think I've seen you looking that formal before, it's kinda cute on you. I prefer hippy chic though!
LM
x

a cat of impossible colour said...

It's great that you finally have something to wear to your endless round of municipal-building-openings! :D

You look SO different in the striped dress. Beautiful, but different. I love the peach silk shirt, it's stunning - you have amazing legs. (I typed 'eggs' first for some reason, which would not be appropriate at all).

Ms Unreliable said...

I'm another fan of the silk wrap dress, it looks great on you! The pumps are awesome too, you've definitely got the op-shopping knack that I lack. (How poetic).

That peach shirt looks great too, perfect for disgustingly humid Queensland weather!

Pretty Little Pictures said...

Love those shoes - you do black and white VERY well lady!!

Hippy Chic said...

that zipper is fabulous!! L.o.v.e.

Sharon Rose said...

Hi there-You're so fabulous, please accept the award over on my blog!!

Bucca said...

LOVE the stripe wrap dress very sweet!

esme and the lane way said...

Great dress – these shops do come up with good things sometimes :)

And that stripy dress! WOW I LOVE it!

ginchyworld said...

What a find in your municipal buildings dress, it's fabulous.

Humpty Dumpty said...

The heart shoes are sooo cute! and i really like the oversized silk shirt! :)

Courtley said...

I love love love love love the Natasha shoes!

Tili_lili said...

Those dresses are really hot. love your style.