Sunday, February 15, 2009

As promised...

...welcome to the Wacky Jumpsuit edition of Skylark and Son!


Diane Fres eighties jumpsuit - $49 (hangs head in shame) ebay
Black leather heels - $40 Sportsgirl sale
Eighties gold/black disc earrings - $3 op-shop

When I appeared (materialised?) before my husband in this jumpsuit he went white with fear and said, "What... the hell is that?!" before muttering something about Priscilla Queen of the Desert and scurrying back into the safety of his lair/office. I'm guessing he spent the rest of the afternoon messing around with his 3D modelling pre-visualisation storyboarding software thingy and trying desperately to banish this particular mental image:



I'm highly tempted to suit up again and put the frighteners on him with a bit of lip synching and voguing before bed time!


Sorry about that dalek sticking its raygun into the corner of all my photos, I had my tripod around the wrong way today.

I'm not sure I'm quite the statuesque glamazon to do this jumpsuit justice (maybe Claerwen would work it the way it deserves), but it makes me feel pretty good anyhow. I do think I need bigger hair for it though - something a bit Bonnie Tyleresque, perhaps!



I have been on the look out for some giant disc shaped earrings for ages, ever since I dreamt of a pair months ago (any thoughts for us on that one, Sigmund?) These eighties ones presented themselves to me in an op-shop a couple of weeks ago and I am quite thrilled with their gigantism - and the fact that although they look like metal, they are actually made from super light wood with coiled metallic cord glued on. So despite their enormous circumference they don't weigh my ears down at all.



My far from exhaustive knowledge of eighties Australian fashion tells me that these earrings are from Bali, the wood being the biggest clue to their origins. The most common species of Balinese earring known to Australians is the dangling carved wooden parrot (I had a pair of purple ones), but then, as now, Bali was a cheap place for smaller Aussie designers to have their garments and accessories made. Current Australian labels designing and manufacturing to some extent in Bali include Shakuhachi, Alice McCall, Natasha, Hussy and Mogil.


Balinese batik jumpsuit - $2 ebay
Black leather eighties belt - $1 op-shop
Black suede Senso fringed sandals - $40 Max's Shoes Sale

Australia's proximity to Indonesia means that virtually the entire population has managed a trip to Bali at least once* and consequently we have a few decades' worth of Balinese souvenirs floating around our op-shops - the kind of clothes that people buy to wear on holiday, but which don't quite work for them back home in Bacchus Marsh or Cessnock or wherever. Wacky Jumpsuit Number Two up there being a prime example.



Bizarrely enough my husband kind of liked this one, and some random dudes on the front verandah of a house round the corner sexually harrassed me with great enthusiasm when I walked past them this afternoon. I cannot say I understand it - I do kind of like the jumpsuit (you know me, I've perverse like that) but it really does look like what Dr Oz was wearing when he got struck by lightning, or fell in a tar pit or something.



Dr Oz was the bane of my existence when the little dude was a newborn (well actually the bane of my existence was sleep deprivation, closely followed by explosive projectile poo, but just go with me here). I'd sit down for my hour long breastfeeding sessions at Oprah time, and instead of some uplifting makeovers or home renovations, I'd get Dr Oz haranguing me about my cholesterol or showing piece of fat clogged artery pickled in a jar or something. I resent him still, after all surely the time in life when you should be able to enjoy your cholesterol without harassment by some guy in scrubs is when you are FEEDING ANOTHER HUMAN BEING SOLEY FROM YOUR BODY.





Patchwork duffle bags and satchels like this one ($2 op-shop) are another classic Bali souvenir op-shop staple - I usually ignore them but something about the colours in this one made me like it enough to buy it. At least I think it was the colours, but I might just have been hypnotised by the Rubik's snake I bought the same day ($1 op-shop), and felt an uncontrollable compulsion to surround myself with triangles...





I've been working out how I can fashion the snake into bangle shapes, but I think that wearing a Rubik's Snake as jewellery would actually be a Nu Rave bridge too far. I think I'll leave it to the youths in the giant fluro pink sneakers, so if any nu-rave youths are reading this - please feel free to adorn yourself in Rubik's Snakes and I won't ask for any royalties at all!

xx
Skye
PS. Here's the little dude and his mate Arch hanging out in their sunglasses. No reason, just because they're cute (and sort of remind me of a mini toddler version of Entourage).



*I’ve Been to Bali Too

Qantas flight 20, Denpasar
Meals and accom and a rent-a-car
I've been to Bali
I've been to Bali too

Took a two week course at a suntan clinic
So lying round Legian I wouldn't look anaemic
And you can't impress me
‘Cause I've been to Bali too

Got a ride out to Kuta in the back of a truck
Cost me twenty dollars and it wasn't worth a buck
Hustled to a losmen down in Poppy's Lane
By a Javanese guy in a tropical rainstorm,
Lock up your daughters
I've been to Bali too

Life is tragic hanging out at Kuta
If you haven't got a car, a bike or a scooter
Show me the bike shop
I've been to Bali too

Got myself a Honda, had to get away
No brakes, bald tyres,
five thousand ‘rupes’ a day
I've been to Bali too

Well I don't ride a bike much home in Australia
As a motorcycle hero, guess I'm a failure
Bemos to the left, trucks to the right
The Honda was a wreck but I was alright,
Hello Mercurochrome
I've been to Bali too

Wired home for money, I was short of cash
A dose of Bali-Belly and a tropical rash
Daddy came through - American Express
Bali T-shirts, magic mushrooms, Redgum bootlegs
I've been to Bali too

Took my bag and mozzie coils to Peliatan
It was there where my Bali trip really began
Been there, done that
I've been to Bali too

Tourists from Holland, Britain and France
Late night puppet shows, legong dance
Want to see my slides?
I've been to Bali too.

Well, I wandered off to Ubud, just a little up the track
One week there didn't want to come back
Listening to gamelon and playing guitar
Tjanderi’s tacos, Hotel Menara, two month visa
I've been to Bali too.

Flying Kangaroo out of Denpasar
Left me camera in the airport bar
I've been to Bali
I've been to Bali too

Touch down, touch down Tullamarine
Sprayed me on the plane so I'd be real clean
Coming though Customs
I've been to Bali too

They went through my bags like McCartney in Japan
I didn't have a thing so I didn't give a damn
You can't trick me
'Cause I've been to Bali too

You've been to Paris and you've been Boston
You've been to Fiji and you've been to London
But you can't impress me
'Cause I've been to Bali too

From the Redgum album “Frontline”, 1984
John Schumann: Universal Music Publishing Pty Ltd

25 comments:

Sharon Rose said...

Hi there-oh fabulous jumpsuits my dear, you sure do look good in them!! I'm a great fan, but they are like golddust to thrift. I'd like a silky feel one, so I'm still hunting! Little Dude and Arch are soo very cute!

Sal said...

Hot tamales, you really delivered on the jumpsuit promise. I agree with the wolf whistlers - that second one is somehow sultry.

WendyB said...

Best line evah: "They went through my bags like McCartney in Japan"

You look amazing in both jumpsuits.

K.Line said...

OMG - Dude and Arch are so adorable. And your husband's comment about the j-suit, hilarious!

katiecrackernuts said...

See, I think the big colourful thing looks fabulous, and let's be honest, there's a lot of fabric there for any number of other fabulous outfits - for you and your neighbours ;)
The earrings though are gold. I nearly hyperventilated when I came across a stash of '80s earrings at the op shop last year.

Lady Melbourne said...

I love how your wardrobe is infused with so much humour Skye, I have a feeling your husbands reaction to the jumpsuit is a universal one!
Your little man and his friend are too cute.x

enc said...

Dang, Skye, if you wear that j-suit in front of your husband, you may have to abandon all hope of ever adding another little dude to the brood!

Just kidding. I think it's superb on you, as is the black-and-blue crackly batik-y one. You wear j-suits like no other.

Missa said...

Haha, I've heard those exact words come out of my husband's mouth too and for things far far tamer than that jumpuit. You look amazing though, you can definitely rock a jumpsuit like nobody's business!

A dreamer said...

hahahh. your posts always make me laugh. i love those jumpsuits. they are fabulously zany.

Home Girl said...

darling u look GLORIOUS in those beauties! these are serious diva jumpsuits designed for the front row!i love the bat-wing sleeve volume with the first one and the second has such a cool pattern going on. these are so up my alley i'm green! i think we will have to form some kind of interstate blog supertrooper/glam rock band! and LD is totally rocking along with us! xx

Hammie said...

I hope you make yourself a Blue Lagoon to drink with that jumpsuit (Blue Curacao and Lemonade with bits of tropical fruit and an umbrella) I do remember borrowing my cousin Sissy's jumpsuits and going out - fake id in hand to leagues clubs to hear ......THE COCKROACHES and Hunners. Feeling sophisticated and getting chatted up by someone (who should have been jailed for even noticing me at that age) and then my cousin would walk up to the bar and yank the back of my jumpsuit so the excess fabric was ABOVE the belt.
That's right, watch out for nappy look when wearing a baggy j-suit.

Little dude + 1 reminded me of the Proclaimers, they are much cuter of course - and when my twin sisters would sit in the back seat at age 7 and sing "And I would walk one thousand miles"

You can't impress me, I've been to LOMBOK ! And got the thrush inducing fabric bikinis to prove it too.
xx

red.door.read said...

hi skye, yayyy jumpsuit post!

my fav is the first one. woot.

thank you for bringing up dr oz. i watched him once (why does he wear scrubs on tv?) and he made my middle class guilt go off the charts. and he has this nervous overly earnest energy that makes me feel super lazy.

cheers

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

Why aren't we married? We could share earrings, jump suits and here's the clincher I could keep you in designer shoes for the rest of your life.

thevintageyear said...

Wow... I actually kind of like that second one, it looks like you should be in some crazy 80s sci fi flick. & little dude in his neon sunnies could be your sidekick ;)

Fashion critic :) said...

You forgot to mention, one black shoe and one brown shoe, in your first picture :)

Shannon (A beautiful Dream) said...

The jumpsuits scare me.... lol

Make Do Style said...

The jumpsuits are fab - you wear them so well! I'd look like a c*** (Sister Wolf TM permission given).

The dude and his mate look cool xx

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

I wouldn't be worried with 'arrangements' he's just bought the box set of Dallas. With Miss Ellie, Jock, Sue Ellen and co he'll be busy for months.

Eli said...

the jumpsuits oddly work! just stay away from shoulder pads! heck, those might become popular next too!

Lady Melbourne said...

Hello again, I've left you an award on my blog.
LM
x

jodi said...

you're gorgeous. I think you look great in a jumpsuit - if you love it, wear it!

Sharon Rose said...

Hi there-There is an award waiting for you on my blog, see you soon!

fashion herald said...

one can never predict the sartorial preferences of the heterosexual man. Hello, the first jumpsuit is fabulous!

Anonymous said...

update!

ACE Soft said...

Nice blog for new generation


alstair
Kolkata Web Design Company